The next time you feel on the verge of an argument follow the advice in ‘How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
- Welcome the disagreement it could be an opportunity to learn and you may be wrong.
- Control your temper, anger clouds our ability to reason.
- Listen to the other person fully, hear them out and don’t interrupt.
- Emphasize the things you do agree on first.
- Be honest, if you have made a mistake own up to it.
- Take time to really think over what they have said.
- Thank them for their point of view as if they are trying to help you rather than hinder you.
- Postpone taking any action until both sides have had the opportunity to reflect away from the heat of the moment.
Listen to our podcast on Dale Carnegie’s book here